Sunday, May 25, 2014

10 Sitcoms to Cheer You Up


If you're feeling down, if you've had the worst day ever or if you just want to cheer yourself up, try watching a sitcom or two. There's really no need to mention I watch A LOT of TV shows and I've watched my fair share of sitcoms. There are some that I turned to when I had the blues or just enjoy watching whenever I need a laugh. It was a tough job, but I narrowed it down to 10 of my all time favourites (in no particular order). 

Okay I said 'in no particular order', but The Office is my absolute nr. 1. The mockumentary of all mockumentaries, it follows a group of Dunder Mifflin employees in a Scranton, Pennsylvania office. When you first watch it, it seems like a really weird TV show, especially if you're not used to mockumentaries. But you get to see over time that it has everything. The loveliest love story you've ever seen, a really inappropriate, but so genuinely heartfelt boss, etc, etc. I will always have a special place in my heart for The Office as it showed me everything works out one way or another. 

The other two mockumentaries I wanted to mention are Parks and Recreation and Modern Family. Parks & Rec follows Leslie, who runs a local Parks and Recreation department and her employees.  I spent hours laughing at Tom's silly need to be swag 24/7, Leslie's weird obsessions such as waffles and Madeleine Albright and Ron's stoicism. Modern Family on the other hand follows three families: Jay, his young Colombian wife Gloria and her son Manny, then Jay's daughter Claire, her husband Phil and their children, Luke, Haley and Alex and finally Jay's son Mitch, his boyfriend Cam and their adopted daughter Lily. What I love most are Gloria's accent, Cam's theatricality and Manny being weirdly and hillariously grown up for such a young child. If you give mockumentaries a chance, do not let these three out!

Then we have New Girl and The Big Bang Theory. You probably all know TBBT already, Sheldon has basically turned into an internet phenomenon and let's face it, this character deserves it. The other TBBT fella I love most is Harold, the needy Jewish guy with an impeccable talent for an Al Pacino impression and always underestimated for not having a PhD. A dream (I imagine) TV show for every nerd out there, you have to give this a watch. I stumbled upon New Girl last year, I think. Even if I wasn't a huge fan of Zooey Dechanel (relax, I changed sides by now), New Girl immediately jumped to the top of my list. One word - Schmidt. I could watch this guy ALL DAY, ERRDAY. I have a thing for white guys wannabe homeboys, okay. The struggle is real. 

I also watch a lot of comedy sketch shows, talk shows and the like and when I heard SNL's Andy Samberg has his own TV show, I jumped on the bandwagon right away. Brooklyn Nine-Nine is a cop show, but it's a comedy cop show. Featuring the goofball of all goofballs - Samberg. What more do you really need? P.S.: I was dying while watching his SNL season finale, he was the perfect host and don't even get me started on all the celebrity and ex-SNL cast cameos.

The latest discovery is Happy Endings, which is like a mixture of New Girl and How I Met Your Mother (the reason for HIMYM not making the cut - it sorta lost it's flare in the last few season for me, no offense) but so much funnier. There's a group of  six friends, each connected to the other in a certain way and they have a bunch of hillarious problems. We have Coach from New Girl (I love that guy, okay) and an array of other awesome actors who play hillarious characters. I'm not 100% sure about Elisha Cuthbert, but I'll let that one slide. Verdict? If you're like me, you'll end up binge watching it from the moment you watch the pilot.

Now here's a sitcom everyone knows and everyone loves. Can you really say no to Friends? It is the ultimate sitcom and I am still obsessing over the boxed DVD set I still haven't managed to get my hands on. If there's one TV show you need to collect, it's this one. It is the perfect rainy day chillout watch or the perfect hideaway from all your problems and worries. Chandler is there to cheer you up. Could he BE any funnier?

Last, but not least, I wanted to mention some classics. Blackadder and Allo! Allo! are a must if you're into history. The first one follows Blackadder, portrayed by Rowan Atkinson, situated in four different chapters of history: the Middle Ages, the Tudor England, 19th Century Regency and World War 1. There are also Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, need I mention anything else? Allo! Allo! is probably the TV show your dad used to watch (I still remember my dad once casually pulling his woolen hat off his eyes, saying: "It is I, Leclerc!") and you're probably gonna love it too. The phrases "Good moaning!" and "I shall say zis only vance!" are forever set in stone. 

What is your favourite sitcom? :)

Love,
N. xx


SHARE:

13 comments

  1. o, ravno ko iščem nove serije :D! New girl in Modern family so tok fajni :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O fino, upam da ti bo kakšna nova všeč! ;) A ne! :D xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this, girlie! Par jih še sploh nism glidala :o!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super post! Brooklyn Nine-Nine je tak smešna!!!:D xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dobra izbira, jaz sem bila popolnoma navdušena ko so obnovili Brooklyn Nine-Nine še z eno sezono :) Morem pa pogledat Happy Endings in Parks and Recreation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super izbira, z malce sramu priznam da spremljam cisto vse :D Bi ti pa priporocila se The Mindy Project, absolutely hilarious :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sem gledala tudi to, Mindy Kailing mi je bla res smešna v The Office. :D xx

      Delete
  6. Obožujem Modern Family pa Friends. Ampak Friends dejansko še nisem nikoli gledala od začetka do konca, samo random epizode, tako da me ta projekt še čaka. Pa nujno moram Happy Endings prečekirati. Sliši se super. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super objava! Jes obožujem Modern family in friendse. Ampak ker mi trenutno že zmankuje serij za gledat (obsedenaa!) Bom pogledala še par telih tvojih predlogov :)
    xx
    SASHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hvala za komentar, Saša! :) Bom pripravla še kakšnega podobnega, za vse nas TV-show lovers! ;) xx

      Delete

© Nina in the Spring. All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig